Monday, April 22, 2013

Woman In The Garden

 This is an impressionist painting by Claude Monet.  He was the most consistent impressionist and enjoyed painting landscapes.  He captures his subjects by painting quickly while the paint was still wet.  Monet was good with his subject subject matter but in 1867 the painting Woman In The Garden was rejected due to narrative and subject weakness.  He was 26 when he put this on canvas. I enjoy the way he caught the suns reflection dancing across the landscape, but in contrast I am also pleased with the dark colors used to interpret shadows.   

3 comments:

  1. Do you think the Salon was correct in rejecting this? I love Monet's use of white, which he revisits in many of his paintings and uses it as a focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion this is a beautiful piece of art and shouldn't have been rejected. I believe at the time when Monet created this art it was new and not excepted,but his style of painting over a period of time made him famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting. It is so beautiful. I love the how the artist painted, you can tell its not detailed yet you get the idea of the objects in the painting. bright and lively.

    ReplyDelete